Monday, September 25, 2006

The Saddest Thing I've Ever Read

Well, of course that's an exaggeration, but this morning I came across a statement that really affected me and I had to write about it.

I spent my morning being a MySpace voyeur, peeking into the lives of people I went to high school with, or maybe the friends of friends of friends. I came across the profile of a girl I went to high school with -- didn't know her, wasn't her friend, but because I was the yearbook copy editor, I know names, I know faces -- it was my job. So anyway, I recognized her.

Read a bit in her profile, and landed where the "Interests" tag is, where someone would put "I like reading, movies, drawing and animals" or something.

She wrote:
"I used to have a lot of interests. Now my only interests are my 2-year-old son and sleeping. I have no time for anything else."

It just made me really, really sad. I already lack the time to do all the things I want to do -- knit an afghan, make my own renaissance faire costumes, read books, actually complete my NaNoWriMo novel, learn to speak Polish and practice my Spanish, or even keep my own house clean. Another drain on my time would make me miserable.

I would mourn my "interests", my hobbies and passions, if I were her. I'm so glad I'm not.

No comments: