Monday, March 13, 2006

Great Expectations

My husband is an idiot. I put my two-weeks notice in at work so I can start working from home and freelancing full-time, and I'm so excited about this opportunity. We had plans to see his entire family over the weekend. Somewhere in the planning process for this weekend, he spoke with my father-in-law. I did not know this.

A dropped me at the museum doors with his grandmother, and we met the rest of the family inside. His father beamed at me, and assaulted me with a bear hug as he usually does (he's a passionate man, to say the least), but something was different. There was something different about the way everyone looked at me, I see in hindsight. Everyone was glowing, mostly because of his sister-in-law M's pregnant belly, which I wanted no part of, quite frankly. But I asked my father-in-law if A had shared the news with him. Immediately he began gathering the rest of the family. My mother-in-law first asked if I wanted to wait for A to arrive from parking the car, and after I said no, she encouraged everyone to come close. It all makes so much sense now, but then I just blurted out "I quit my job, and I'm starting my own business!" and watched my in-laws deflate. With forced, confused smiles, I was congratulated, and some people asked questions, but I felt like it was a disappointment. Then I found out why.

Apparently A told them I had some "big news" to share at the museum. *hand to forehead* Who doesn't know that you don't tell parents that there's "big news" unless it involves an engagement (check) or friggin' pregnancy??!?? They all thought I was pregnant and apparently had shared this with each other. I felt uncomfortable the rest of the day.

I'm fairly sure my mom thought I was pregnant until yesterday, too. Because of the IUD, I've had quite a few doctor's appointments recently. This had her worried anyway, and then when I quit my job, I think she took that as confirmation of her presumption. I met with her yesterday for lunch (because I had a doc's appointment in the afternoon) and she was worried again, begging me to tell her what was up. She knows we don't plan to have kids and doesn't pressure me, but when I told her about the IUD, there was the same deflated look -- not elation that I wasn't sick, as she seemed to think I was.

It's not so much my mom I'm worried about -- she knows what's up, and she knows she's just speculating. But it's gotten to the point where we're VERY careful about what we say to my in-laws. Anything that could be interpreted as news about pregnancy will be latched onto like crazy, I can see it. It's really quite pathetic.

No comments: